(quotes) We're made In His image: intolerant, sexist, and violent

The Christian god makes man human, then burns him when he acts like one.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" Stephen Roberts

Man created God in his image : intolerant, sexist, homophobic and violent.

Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people.

I would defend the liberty of consenting adult creationists to practice whatever intellectual perversions they like in the privacy of their own homes; but it is also necessary to protect the young and innocent.

Believing there is no God gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, chocolate, and all the other things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have.

The Dinosaur denial: So you really think that God would plant a bunch of bones in the earth to test your faith? Either you're in denial or God has some serious self-esteem issues.

I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology.

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do..And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you.

Thomas Paine - Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system.Mikhail Aleksandrovich Bakunin

- People go to church for the same reasons they go to a tavern: to stupefy themselves, to forget their misery, to imagine themselves, for a few minutes anyway, free and happy.

Christian Fundamentalism: The doctrine that there is an absolutely powerful, infinitely knowledgeable, universe spanning entity that is deeply and personally concerned about my sex life."- Author Unknown"

'God is as real as I am', the old man said. I was relieved since I knew Santa wouldn't lie to me..."..........Author Unknown

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."..........Author Unknown


"I do not believe in god because I do not believe in Mother Goose."..........Clarence Darrow

"I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious theories of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God."..........Thomas Edison

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."..........Albert Einstein

Religion is like an ice cold whiskey on a hot day...........Ernest Hemingway

"I count religion but a childish toy, and hold there is no sin but ignorance."..........Christopher Marlowe

"Religion is the opiate of the masses."..........Karl Marx

In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point."..........Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

"Religion has caused more misery to all men in every state of human history than any other single idea."..........Madelyn Murray O'Hair

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."..........Gene Roddenberry

"I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods you will understand why I dismiss yours."..........Stephen F. Roberts

Why do you write to me "God should punish the English"? I have no close connection to either one or the other. I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible; in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him. ..........Albert Einstein, in a letter to a friend

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death...........George Carlin

"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."..........Sigmund Freud, "Future of an Illusion".

"If we are going to teach 'creation science' as an alternative to evolution, then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction."..........Judith Hayes

10 comments:

Rhology said...

Hey Moth,

You posted under your funny little weird angel graphic the following text: An Aint-Christian, not the Anti-Christ

May I ask, then, why you seem so often to go after Christianity in this and many other posts on this blog?

Peace,
ALAN

mothpete said...

I'm a non-christian, a post-christian. 'Aint' as opposed the 'anti', and by anti-christ I refer to the fantasy figure the futurists believe will be coming to earth soon.

This blog is pretty much me pointing and laughing at other people's beliefs. There are other sites I've linked to that are serious debunkers.

Rhology said...

Yeah I saw the links to the "serious" debunkers. (I put "serious" in quotations b/c IMO they are extremely clumsy in their argumentation. Just FYI.)

And that's what I thought you'd say. But most of your blog posts go after *Christianity*. There are lots of diff faiths out there at which I don't see you poking a lot of fun. Why is that? Is it b/c you're more familiar w/ Xtianity having left it? Or is there sthg else? I guess I'm curious b/c you say one thing and act differently.

Peace,
ALAN

mothpete said...

I'm not walkin the talk you say? No, I suppose... I do get that a lot from people so I really should have a good long hard look at myself.

I point at the Christians because I went amongst many of them for 17 years. Mostly heavy fundy tongue speaking nitwits.

I may get around to poking to others as they come to mind. At the moment I'm influenced by a particular forum I visit.

I have some great christian friends and they know me and roll their eyes if I point out the weird things they do that don't make sense.

Rhology said...

Moth,

OK, I kind of thought so, that you left the faith so that's what you're most familiar with.

May I ask what forum you visit? If you don't mind, what's your nick there? If you do mind, don't worry about it - I'm just curious.

--roll their eyes if I point out the weird things they do that don't make sense.
>>To be fair, I roll my eyes too when I think of the weird things you do and believe. If you hold to the typical atheist beliefs (and I'm not saying you DO, but I am conscious of the fact that you link to and cite approvingly guys like Troy Waller and the Debunkers, who are atheists), then you believe in alchemy, lizards becoming birds, spontaneous generation, and that logic is just a human construct. Believe me, I roll my eyes at that stuff.

Peace,
ALAN

mothpete said...

so we're all rolling eyes at other people's beliefs. I could make my list as long as yours. Does it come down to who's got the biggest list? And which one sounds more ridiculous... well, that'd be a matter of individual perspectives so probably no point.

Cutie said...

Personally I don't go on about Hindus or Jewish people or Pagans (for example) because I can't remember any of them ever telling me I will suffer eternal torment if I don't share their faith.

I'm happy to live and let live if the other person is too. It is hypocritical for a christian to complain about people criticising their religion when they spend their lives trying to convert others.

Are they saying it's OK to extol the virtue of jesus worship, but it's not OK to point out the flaws in the religion? We either talk about it or we don't. We don't talk about it on the christian's terms only.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite quotes about Christianity goes something like this "The greatest service that could possibly be rendered to the Christian people is to teach them to be Christian." I really think the quote sums up the real problem here. Although some of the arguments on this page do contain some merit, I feel like some of you are just bitching about the fact that Christians are fucked up people. And that is true... But they're not the only ones. The fact is we are all fucked up, and no one is perfect, and the problem lies in the fact that many Christians act like they're holier than others. They simply don't have an acute understanding of what it means to be a real Christian. Can anyone honestly argue that if all Christians acted like Christ did ( or at least allegedly did) the world would not be a better place. I mean pacifism, love of others, self-sacrifice, making extra wine for a party, etc. are not the kinds of things that are pissing you guys off. It's the warmongering, the ridiculous laws which inhibit personal freedoms, and the hateful demeaning of other groups by "Christians" that really gets us all upset. Politicians and church leaders have used fear and coercion for long periods to move people en masse, and I don't think it has anything to do with Christ's actual teachings. The issue is more about the fact that people like to feel like part of a group and the crowd mentality is dangerous. I don't know what I'm really getting at here, other than that I am a christian and I am really fucking pissed off about the way others who label themselves under the same title as me act. I do believe in evolution. I do believe in dinosaurs. The people who decry these realities are absurd, and we can only conclude that fools are making them not individuals well educated in theology. They don't speak for the millions of people who think that the way Christ acted was sweet and that the world would be a better place if we all acted like him. That's it, I need to go have some premarital sex now. Peace.

Anonymous said...

J Rae, I've got new for you: you're not a Christian at all - you're a humanist who admires the similar qualities in certain Christ stories. If you were really well-versed in the entire bible and Christian doctrine, you'd know its primarily a huge blood bath of enforcing patriarchal government tribal warfare. Funny how the 10 commandments of Jesus' dad forget to mention rape or slavery.

and yeah, I went to church for 2 decades before fessing up to the huge difference. There's only so many times I could hear about Lot being a good guy for protecting the angels (i.e. male strangers) by offering up his daughter to supposed-rapists before I threw up.

Anonymous said...

Very nicce!